BECHTELSVILLE, PA July 26, 2009 . . . The opportunity to see four feature races brought a large crowd to Grandview Speedway on Saturday night and they were able to see Craig VonDohren and Addison Meitzler win the two 30-lap NASCAR Whelen All American Series 358 modified features. And the fans were treated to some excited Rislone United Racing Company sprint car action with Davey Sammons and Trevor Lewis each winning 25-lap features. In between all the racing action Ma Nature forced the fans to sit through a one hour rain delay.
In the opening event of the night the URC sprinters had seven laps completed from a rainout on June 13th with Kyle Purks sitting in first place.
Young Purks was able to set the pace on the start and looked like the man to beat. However at the midway mark Davey Sammons and Scott Pursell were challenging the leader. A restart after a 14th lap caution for a tangle between multi-time champion Curt Michael and Kenny Meisner gave Sammons the opportunity to put serious pressure on Purks. At the 18 lap mark Sammons was able to sneak by Purks for the lead and set the pace for the balance of the 25 lap feature to get the win. For Sammons (Bordentown, NJ) the win, driving the Area Auto Racing News No. 79, was the second of his career. J.J. Grasso, coming from 11th starting spot, finished second followed by Purks, Chuck Palmucci and Chris Coyle.
The first 30-lap feature for the NASCAR 358 modifieds saw Jeremy Banos charge to the front on the drop of the green for the 28-car starting field. Shawn Reimert moved to the front of the pack on the fourth circuit of the one-third-mile, banked clay oval. At the midway point Reimert was being challenged by six time champion Craig VonDohren who was in search of a second straight win. With 18 laps in the record book VonDohren got the edge on Reimert coming off the fourth turn and had the lead.
VonDohren (Boyertown) was able to hold on to the top spot with the BPG Racing No.1c for the remainder of the 30-lap feature and had a comfortable margin of victory over second place Shawn Reimert ( the Oley racer getting his best finish of the season) as the checkered flag fell. Bill Pauch Jr. (Frenchtown, NJ) brought the Pioneer Pole Building entry home third followed by Duane Howard (Oley) and Jeff Strunk (Mohnton).
Trevor Lewis made it look easy as he led all the laps in the second 25-lap URC feature and even had to wait out a one hour rain delay before charging to the win. Lewis had control of the field for the early laps when Davey Sammons hit the fourth turn wall and flipped. He was not injured. However while the accident was cleared up rain started to fall and the balance of the event was delayed for about one hour.
On the restart Lewis (Upper Black Eddy, PA) resumed command and had no serious challenges for the balance of the race. He had a comfortable lead at the finish. Second spot went to Justin Collett followed by J.J. Grasso, Nick Schlauch Jr. and Tim Hogue.
The second 30-lap feature for the NASCAR 358 modifieds showed fans that there are some great young talents coming up in the sport as rookie Kyle Follweiler took command at the drop of the green. A multi car tangle early in the race put Jason Hamilton and Ryan Godown out of action early.
With one third of the race in the record book Follweiler and young Brad Missimer were staging a side-by-side battle for the top spot. The Follweiler/Missimer show continued until the 23rd lap when Mike Gular and Ray Swinehart made contact in Turn one bringing out the caution. On the restart Follweiler had a right rear tire soften hindering his efforts to keep the lead with Brad Missimer getting the top spot. On the next circuit Follweiler, John Willman and Craig VonDohren got caught up in an accident on the back straightaway putting both Follweiler and VonDohren out of the event.
On the restart, with 25 laps in the record book, rookie racer Addison Meitzler was able to put the Cornerstone Auto Sales No. 21 in front of the field. Current NASCAR modified point leader Jeff Strunk was now in the second and putting pressure on the leader while Brad Missimer was keeping busy holding off Doug Manmiller for third.
Meitzler (Kutztown) was able to hold the top spot and gain his first career win as Strunk ( the Mohnton racer coming from 14th starting spot) chased him across the finish line. Third spot went to Missimer (Bechtelsville) followed by Doug Manmiller (Shoemakersville) and Duane Howard (Oley) coming from 25th starting spot.
In victory lane young Meitzler, son of veteran modified racer Terry Meitzler, indicated that he would have been happy to get third but was even happier to get first.
Qualifying events for the NASCAR Whelen All American Series 358 Modifieds leading up to the second modified feature went to Addison Meitzler, Craig VonDohren, Chris Esposito and Jon Kellner Jr. The consolation race wins went to Ryan Grim and Keith Hoffman.
Qualifying events for the URC sprint cars were won by Chuck Palmucci, J.J. Grasso and Trevor Lewis while the B-main win went to Dave Gable.
The Cornerstone Auto Sales of Fleetwood, PA Hard Charger Awards, in the modifieds, went to Keith Brightbill in the first modified feature as he gained 12 spots. In the second modified feature Duane Howard gained 20 spots to grab the award.
Danís Deli Halfway Leader Awards were earned by Shawn Reimert in the first 30 lapper for modifieds and Kyle Follweiler in the second feature for modifieds.
Cargo Trailer Sales had $50 certificates for the 10th place finishers in each modified feature and Terry Meizler earned the awards in both features.
The NASCAR 358 Modifieds race for $10,000 to win in the Forrest Rogers Memorial 50-lapper on Saturday, August 1st along with late model stock car racing action. The 39th annual edition of this modified classic is run in memory of the late Forrest Rogers, the man who had the idea and was able to build Grandview Speedway. The track opened in 1963.
Grandview Speedway is a one-third-mile, banked clay oval track located at 43 Passmore Road, just off Route 100, in Bechtelsville, PA, just 10 miles north of Pottstown. For information telephone 610.754.7688 or visit their website at www.grandviewspeedway.com.
NASCAR ALL AMERICAN SERIES 358 MODIFIED FEATURE FINISH 30 laps (RAINED OUT ON JUNE 13): 1.Craig VonDohren 2. Shawn Reimert 3. Billy Pauch Jr. 4. Duane Howard 5. Jeff Strunk 6. Doug Manmiller 7. Kevin Hirthler 8. Mike Gular 9. Meme DeSantis 10. Terry Meitzler 11. Keith Brightbill 12. Jon Kellner Sr. 13. Keith Hoffman 14. Kerry Kratz 15. Jason Smythe 16. Addison Meitzler 17. Danny Hieber 18. Brad Missimer 19. Ryan Grim (Balance of field did not finish) 20. Jeremy Banos 21. Kyle Follweiler 22. Cliff Quinn 23. Sean Merkel 24. John Willman 25. Ryan Godown 26. Mark Kratz 27. Tom Umbenhauer 28. Don Norris
NASCAR Whelen All American Series 358 Modified Feature Finish-30 laps: 1. Addison Meitzler 2. Jeff Strunk 3. Brad Missimer 4. Doug Manmiller 5. Duane Howard 6. Billy Pauch Jr. 7. Keith Hoffman 8. Keith Brightbill 9. Shawn Reimert 10. Terry Meitzler 11. Danny Hieber 12. Kevin Hirthler 13. Todd Smith 14. Tom Umbenhauer 15. Ryan Grim 16. Ryan Beltz 17. Mark Kratz 18. Mike Gular (Balance of field did not finish) 19. Ray Swinehart 20. Kyle Follweiler 21. Craig VonDohren 22. John Willman 23. Troy Wink 24. Chris Esposito 25. Meme DeSantis 26. Kerry Kratz 27. Jon Kellner Jr. 28. Ryan Godown 29. Jason Hamilton
RISLONE URC Sprint cars - 25 laps (first seven laps run on June 13th before being rained out): Davey Sammons, JJ Grasso, Kyle Purks, Chuck Palmucci, Chris Coyle, Art Liedl, Josh Weller, Becca Anderson, Andy Best, Nick Schlauch Jr., Dave Gable, Kramer Williamson, Brett Schoenly, Curt Michael, Robbie Stillwaggon, Tim Hogue, Jonathan Swanson, Scott Pursell, Trevor Lewis, Jimmy Reppert, Kenny Meisner, Michael Carber, Joe Zuczek, Rory Janney. Fred''s Trailer Parts Hard Charger- - JJ Grasso- -advanced eleven spots in the feature.
RISLONE URC Sprint cars - 25 laps: Trevor Lewis, Justin Collett, JJ Grasso, Nick Schlauch Jr., Tim Hogue, Kramer Williamson, Becca Anderson, Curt Michael, Randy West, Kyle Purks, Josh Weller, Brett Schoenly, Art Liedl, Chuck Palmucci, Andy Best, Ed Wagner, Robbie Stillwaggon, Kevin Welsh, Chris Coyle, Jonathan Swanson, Dave Gable, Danny Massey, Jimmy Reppert, Davey Sammons. DNQ- - Scott Pursell, Mike Kostic, Jonathan Baker, Jay Shypinka, Jim Walters, Kenny Meisner, Chris Weiss.
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR MODIFIEDS AS OF COMPLETION OF RACING ON JULY 25, 2009
1. Jeff Strunk, Mohnton, PA #41 3935**
2. Duane Howard, Oley, PA #4 3704*
3. Craig VonDohren, Oley, PA #1C 3419***
4. Meme DeSantis, Temple, PA #88D 3243*
5. Terry Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #81 3061
6. Billy Pauch Jr., French Town, NJ #8P 2990*
7. Kevin Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #117 2943**
8. Doug Manmiller, Shoemakersville, PA #14 2926
9. Mike Gular, Harleysville, PA #53 2806
10. Jon Kellner Sr., Lansdale, PA #8 2469
11. Jason Hamilton, Erwinna, PA #15 2344
12. John Willman, Birdsboro, PA #74W 2040
13. Shawn Reimert, Oley, PA #58 2032
14. Danny Heiber, Penndel, PA #107 1983
15. Ryan Godown, Ringoes, NJ #R1 1830*
16. Kerry Kratz, Bechtelsville, PA #87 1701
17. Keith Brightbill, Reading, PA #K2 1673
18. Addison Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #21 1646 *
19. Tom Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19/357 1515
20. Sean Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #118 1502
21. Ray Swinehart, Bechtelsville, PA #33 1428*
22. Don Norris, Douglassville, PA #976 1411
23. Brad Missimer, Bechtelsville, PA #327 1388
24. Jon Kellner Jr., Lansdale, PA #67 1344*
25. Ryan Grim, Lauryís Station, PA #17 1268
26. Jason Smythe, Oley, PA #71 1231
27. Kyle Follweiler, Slatington, PA #42 1174
28. Ryan Beltz, Schwenksville, PA #221 1151
29. Keith Hoffman, Allentown, PA #15J 1122
30. Doug Hoffman, Allentown, PA #357 1072
Also Feature Winner, Tommy Scheetz
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR LATE MODELS AS OF JULY 18, 2009
1. Ron Kline, Salfordville, PA #3 3801**
2. Randy Stoudt, Pottstown, PA #118 3731**
3. Brian Shuey, Shoemakersville, PA #5 3713**
4. Kyle Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #117 3503*
5. Danny Snyder, Green Lane, PA #4S 3420
6. Mike Kellner, Lansdale, PA #57 3321***
7. Rick Todorow, Quakertown, PA #93 3263
8. Chuck Schutz, Pottstown, PA #ONE 3241**
9. Wayne Pfeil Jr., Mohnton, PA #72 3220*
10. John Giesler, Aston, PA #ZT1 2957
11. Bill Henning, Lansdale, PA #80 2719
12. Nate Christman, Oley, PA #37 2626
13. Kurt Spotts, Pennsburg, PA #70 2549
14. Jonathan Favinger, Birdsboro, PA #18 2424
15. Doug Walton, Spring City, PA #02 2044
16. Buddy Wharton, Birdsboro, PA #7B 1884
17. Dallas Bridenbach, Spring City, PA #007 1734
18. Buddy Mertz, New Berlinville #00 1717
19. Andy Ressler, Macungie, PA #28 1669
20. Jamie Undercoffler, Pennsburg, PA #1J 1612
21. Dennis Pieper, Salford, PA #409 1541
22. Chris Wojnar, Boyertown, PA #69 1284
23. Bobby Wyatt, Reading, PA #14 1246
24. Kory Fleming, Milford, NJ #704 1075
25. Buddy Wharton Birdsboro, PA #7B 417
26. D.D. Keely, Linfield, PA #707 416
27. Rusty Hassall, Bechtelsville, PA #10 399
28. Greg Hoffmaster, Pottstown, PA #69 253
29. Dirk Rimrot, #007 230
30. Ron Coverly, #13 80