CHAMPIONS AND OTHER STANDOUTS HONORED AT GRANDVIEW BANQUETGrandview PR
VONDOHREN, KRESSLEY AND SCHUTZ EARN NASCAR TITLES AT GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY
JEFF STRUNK AND KENNY GILMORE TAKE AMERICAN RACER TRACK TITLES
T.P.TRAILERS RETURNS AS MAJOR SPONSOR FOR 2016 SEASON
Bechtelsville, PA November 21, 2015 . . . Veteran stock car racers Craig VonDohren and Chuck Schutz along with Brett Kressley were honored as the 2015 NASCAR champions on Saturday night at the 53rd Anniversary Grandview Speedway Awards Banquet which took place at the Gilbertsville, PA Fire Co. Social Hall. Jeff Strunk topped the American Racer Cup standings for the Modifieds while Kenny Gilmore, Fleetwood, earned the American Racer Cup with the Sportsman. A large turnout of racers, team members, fans, family members, media and more were on hand.
A new award came from NASCAR with the announcement that young Kyle Lilick, Collegeville, Pa, had earned the University of Northwestern Ohio (UNOH) Youth Achievement Award. This honor included a cash award and UNOH Scholarship.
For VonDohren, who calls Oley, PA home, the 2015 NASCAR T.P.Trailers 358 Modified championship was his eighth time as the titleholder while Chuck Schutz (Pottstown) earned his 7th BRC NASCAR Late Model title. For Brett Kressley (Orefield) the Sportsman championship was his first at the Rogers family owned auto racing facility.
Wheeling the K.L.Harring Transportation sponsored entry VonDohren had what could be considered a dream season as in addition to the championship worth well over $10,000 in point fund money from Grandview and NASCAR, he was able to win $10,000 for his victory in the Forrest Rogers Memorial presented by Pioneer Pole Buildings and $25,000 for topping the field in the Freedom 76 Modified Classic. VonDohren had 5294 points while second place went to another Oley resident Duane Howard, a five time track champion, who had four feature wins and tallied 4952 points. Ten time track champion Jeff Strunk, Pottstown, settled for third with 4763 counters and two wins.
Chuck Schutz received cash and awards for his first place finish in the BRC NASCAR Late Model point standings for the seventh time. He was able to amass 4427 points and four feature wins with his Pioneer Pole Buildings #1 topping Wayne Pfeil, Mohnton, who had 4116 points and two feature wins in the Saturday night NASCAR racing action. Sean Merkel, Boyertown, finished just two points behind Pfeil with 4114 counters and one feature win.
The Sportsman title battle had Brett Kressley, driving his own entry, finishing on top with 4023 points and four main event wins. Second spot was taken by Craig Whitmoyer, Hamburg, with 3698 points followed by Jordan Henn, Kutztown, who had 3596 tallies.
NASCAR had beautiful awards for the top three finishers in each division.
Official track photographer Chris Budihas continued a tradition started by the late Don Marks by presenting large color photographs to the top three finishers in each NASCAR division.
Awards went to the top 20 drivers and top ten car owners in each division. Point fund money was paid by the Rogers family and NASCAR to the top ten drivers and top five car owners in each division of racing.
T.P.Trailers of Limerick added to the festive evening by announcing that they would again be a major sponsor at Grandview paying cash awards to the feature winners each Saturday night. The NASCAR 358 Modifieds will carry the T.P. Trailers name. The Perkins family, operators of T.P. Trailers, were honored with a special supporter award.
In addition supporter awards went to Pioneer Pole Buildings, Liberty Fire Co. and Bashore Trucking.
In the T.P.Trailers Modified division Rookie of the Year honors went to Jared Umbenhauer while the Most Improved Driver was Tim Buckwalter who went from 17th in the 2014 points to 10th this year. Best Appearing Car owners were earned by Danny Erb. Kyle Borror took the Hard Luck Award.
Young Kyle Lilick was named Rookie of the Year in the Sportsman division while Brad Arnold earned the Outstanding Newcomer honors. Brett Gilmore is the Most Improved Driver and went from 16th in points in 2014 to 5th this season and had a feature win. Kenny Gilmore was named the Hard Luck Driver as he missed out on a second place finish in the point standings when his engine let go just two races from the finish of the season. Jordan Henn earned the Best Appearing Car Award.
The BRC Late Model division has Shawn Horning as the Rookie of the Year while Dave Ogin took home the Most Improved Driver having finished 10th in points and winning 2 feature races. Dan Green had the Best Appearing Car. Steve Gross took the Hard Luck Award having returned to racing after being away for several seasons.
Track announcer Jeff Ahlum welcomed a number of media to the banquet and thanked them for their support.
It was also announced that the 2016 racing season would kick off with the traditional free-to-the-public practice session on Saturday, March 26th and that practice is open to all divisions of competition.
Fans and racers are reminded that they can stay informed on 2016 plans for racing at Grandview by visiting www.grandviewspeedway.com or their Facebook and Twitter sites. The track phone number is 610.754.7688.
OFFICIAL FINAL POINT STANDINGS FOR ALL THREE DIVISIONS FOLLOW:
FINAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR
T.P. TRAILERS MODIFIEDS AS OF SEPTEMBER 5, 2015
* denotes feature win (Feature wins listed are only those that are
NASCAR point events.)
1. Craig VonDohren, Oley, PA #1C 5294****
2. Duane Howard, Oley, PA #66 4982****
3. Jeff Strunk, Pottstown, PA #88 4763**
4. Doug Manmiller, Shoemakersville, PA #00 4409
5. Danny Erb, Boyertown, PA #44 4215*
6. Mike Gular, Green Lane, PA #53/2 3941
7. Jared Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #5/11 3806*
8. Don Norris, Douglassville, PA #976 3770
9. Frank Cozze, Wind Gap, PA #357/19 3672
10. Tim Buckwalter, Douglassville, PA #22 3643
11. Kevin Hirthler, Boyertown, PA #117 3493***
12. John Willman, Birdsboro, PA #74W 3470
13. Ray Swinehart, Perkiomenville, PA #33 3335*
14. Glenn Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #41 3209
15. Meme DeSantis, Temple, PA #357 2940
16. Nate Christman, Oley, PA #37 2916
17. Kyle Borror, Peach Bottom, PA #B4 2868
18. Ryan Grim, Laury’s Station, PA #17 2639*
19. Kyle Weiss, Hamburg, PA #21K 2620*
20. Mike Kellner, Lansdale, PA #A1/57 2566*
21. Eric Biehn, Bechtelsville, PA #87 2533
22. Brian Houseknecht, Bechtelsville, PA #323 2448
23. Jarred Miller, Barto, PA #917 2087
24. Todd Smith, Hatfield, PA #39 1974
25. Ryan Wyatt, Boyertown, PA #14W 1658
26. Ron Seltmann, Lower Pottsgrove, #R19 1564*
27. Bobby Gunther Walsh, Allentown, PA #1 1488
28. Mike Laise, Pottstown, PA #15 1485
29. Mike Bailey, Kutztown, PA #81 1403
30. Ryan Kunkle, Fleetwood, PA #77K 1052
FINAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR
BRC LATE MODELS AS OF SEPTEMBER 5, 2015
1. Chuck Schutz, Pottstown, PA #1 4427****
2. Wayne Pfeil, Mohnton, PA #72 4116**
3. Sean Merkel, Boyertown, PA #118 4114*
4. Dave Ogin, Bechtelsville, PA #31/8M 3896**
5. Kory Fleming, Milford, NJ #704 3840**
6. Dan Green, Coatesville, PA #46 3741
7. Rick Todorow, Quakertown, PA #93 3606
8. Joe Fanelli, Exton, PA #22 3341
9. Cory Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #16 3338**
10. Lou Egrie Jr., Willow Grove, PA #4E 3232*
11. Bill Henning, Lansdale, PA #80 2643
12. Steve Gross, West Chester, PA #62 2612
13. Steve Wilson, Green Lane, PA #15 2392
14. Randy Stoudt, Pottstown, PA #5/10 2280****
15. Kyle Merkel, Boyertown, PA #00 2268
16. John Giesler, Aston, PA #ZT1 1384
17. Shawn Horning, Blandon, PA #8M 1370
18. Dirk Rimrott, Phoenixville, PA #92 1176
19. Devin Frey, Myerstown, PA #F62 1136
20. George Irwin, #2D 887
OFFICIAL FINAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR
SPORTSMAN AS OF SEPTEMBER 5, 2015
1. Brett Kressley, Orefield, PA #19K 4023****
2. Craig Whitmoyer, Hamburg, PA #99 3698
3. Jordan Henn, Kutztown, PA #77H 3596
4. Brett Gilmore, Fleetwood, PA #00 3414*
5. Kenny Gilmore, Fleetwood, PA #7 3350**
6. Ryan Lilick, Collegeville, PA #142 3276***
7. Brad Arnold, Kenhorst, PA #830 3247*
8. Mike Lisowski, Minersville, PA #15 3190***
9. Brian Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #4* 3142
10. Jim Housworth, Reigelsville, PA #72 3105
11. Erik Renninger, Bridgewater, NJ #51 2648
12. Ryan Beltz, Barto, PA #221 2542
13. Jason Neidlinger, Schuylkill Haven, PA #88X 2275
14. Brandon Whitmoyer, Hamburg, PA #25 2156
15. Kyle Lilick, Collegeville, PA #104 1971
16. Paul Kline, Reading, PA #1 1963**
17. Joe Funk, Coopersburg, PA #14J 1854
18. Ken Eckert, Orwigsburg, PA #29 1825
19. Ryan Shupp, #15R 1693
20. Dean Bachman, Emmaus, PA #65 1599
Also Feature Winners: Mark Kemmerer (1), Sean Weiss (1), Brad Brightbill (1), Jeff Sechrist